Thursday, August 1, 2013

Radiation- about as much fun as getting poked in the eye. Repeatedly.

 I started my radiation treatment on July 31st... It's not SO bad. There is no pain involved just lots of noises, whooshes and beeps. The first 3 days I was sickkkkkkkk. About 2 hours after "rads" I would start throwing up and throwing up and.... Well, you get it. I started taking Zofran (Ondansetron, which makes me think of a nightclub) the second week but, I'm not really sure it has helped much. It's been pretty miserable and I have to carry my little green barf bag everywhere I go..... And that's IF I can manage to leave the house at all. They say I have had so much nausea and tummy issues because they are radiating my intestines and colon. Yay. 

We managed to get one family vacation in during August and I actually felt pretty good for the majority of it. When I planned it I knew that I couldn't miss rads so I made my appt first thing Friday morning. On my way to treatment I was joking to myself (yes, I talk to myself) "I wonder if I offered my tech cash if he'd say the machine was broken and I could skip it" ... Haha, well I would not REALLY do that but, it was a fun thought. So, when I pull into the parking lot at the oncology center and the tech meets me in the parking lot to tell me that the radiation machine was broken I was extremely happy! On our family trip we had all 5 kids, they each brought a friend, my mom, niece, Dave and I and Dave's mom and dad. We went to Lake Lopez in Arroyo Grande, Ca. It was fun. We saw tons of wildlife including 2 bears, we boated, swam, laughed and ate. Thanks to my mama and Dave for pulling up all the slack it takes to pull off a trip for 15 people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment