Thursday, July 18, 2013

Radiation simulation day

Yesterday I had my simulation for my radiation treatments. It was pretty interesting. First they made a mold of my body by having me lay on a big flat bean bag..... Then they sucked all of the air out of it until it made a form fitted mold of my body. It ensures that every time I go in I'm in the exact same position. Down to the way my feet are positioned. Kinda neat. Then after lying on the table for quite awhile with laser beams pointing at me and the guy lining me up here and there, he put 3 small tattoos on me (again to ensure the radiation beams are accurately positioned each time). All of that took about 40 minutes- then it was CT scan time..... I'm getting used to the CT's and they don't really bother me.... It's basically like lying on a table and being pulled in and out of a giant donut... Easy peazy but, the noises are pretty loud. Then it was a few more minutes until I was free to put my bra back on and go home. I'm still waiting to hear the words "we don't see any tumor re-growth on the CT". Hoping. Sometimes I can almost "feel" it coming back.... I know it's weird but, it's true. I guess I won't hear for 7-10 days while they work up an exact treatment plan and then I'll "get" to start radiation. 5 days a week for 8 weeks. That's 40 treatments. Wow. He thinks because where they are radiating I'm likely to be sick from the radiation and extreme fatigue is pretty common. Yay. But, you know- what can I do, say no?  

As a side note this morning I was laying in bed reading and eating pretzels, I've been sleeping with no clothes on because I get SOOOOO hot and sweaty at night.  I was putting small handfuls of pretzels on my belly for easier access and I kept trying to eat my radiation tattoo. I could just see it with my peripheral vision and kept trying to pick it up like it was a pretzel. I guess I'll have to get used to it being there. 

I'm hoping to take the RV to the beach for a few days next week before rads start- see ya soon!! 

This is what the CT or giant donut machine looks like. That table moves into that hole and comes out the other side. I'll try to get a picture of my body mold next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment